Years ago, when we were first married, my husband began a quest to find a really great brownie recipe. Definitely not something cake-like. Something chewy and gooey and dense. He tried a lot of recipes before discovering this one. There aren’t any fancy ingredients, but you’ve got to mix things up just the way the recipe says. If you don’t, you might not get the results you’re looking for.
My husband doesn’t like nuts, and since he always makes the brownies around here, he says they’re very optional. Sometimes we substitute chocolate chips, which we sprinkle on top before baking. We almost always double the recipe. A 9-inch pan of brownies doesn’t last long around here.
Glen’s Famous Brownies
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Mix flour, cocoa, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and remove from heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Quickly whisk in eggs, one at a time.
- Add butter mixture to flour mixture; stir until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.