Imagine a cross between a moist, chewy brownie and a chocolate chip cookie. That’s what these blondies taste like! You’re likely to always have the ingredients on hand in your pantry, hence the name. The original recipe called for walnuts, but I replaced them with chocolate chips. If I wasn’t the only one around here who likes nuts, I’d probably use both!
I have a fantastic brownie recipe that is mixed up in a similar fashion, stirring the sugar into the melted butter, etc. so I knew these would be good the minute I read the recipe. I usually make a double batch, so there is a half a pan for me, and half for everyone else.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat; remove from heat. Alternately, butter can be melted in a microwaveable bowl.
- Stir brown sugar into melted butter until it is dissolved. Quickly whisk in the egg and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.