KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE — Tortillas, chicken, peppers, cheese and a creamy sauce are layered together in this crowd-pleasing Southwest casserole.
This King Ranch Chicken Casserole is one of our family’s favorite dishes. I once fed it to a couple of hungry young men and they suggested I open a restaurant! I don’t know many restaurants that serve casserole, but it is good.
I did a bit of research into the recipe’s origins and discovered that while there is a King Ranch in Texas, they don’t claim to have come up with the recipe.
Everyone in the family loved this recipe. It is definitely going into our regular menu rotation. ~ Melissa
I do know that true King Ranch Chicken calls for corn tortillas, but I’m the only one in the family who likes them, so I use flour instead.
Of course, if you wanted to make a gluten-free version of this casserole, corn tortillas would be the way to go. We like a bit of extra heat, so I sometimes replace the green pepper with a diced jalapeno or two.
And of course, a rotisserie chicken is one of my favorite time-savers when I make this meal. I also love that I can prep it early in the day and then just pop it in the oven when it’s time to make dinner.
No matter what kind of tortillas you use, when you layer them with tender chicken, peppers, cheese and a creamy sauce, you have a winner!
This is one of my go-to recipes when I’m craving comfort food. No matter how often I make this casserole, my family looks forward to it, and I rarely have leftovers.
Just a note: the original recipe calls for 2 cans of diced tomatoes and green chilies. I find that one is plenty, but feel free to add another if you like a saucier casserole.
Be sure to save this King Ranch Chicken Casserole recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make King Ranch Chicken Cassserole
- Olive or vegetable oil
- Produce: onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic
- Chicken broth
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cream of chicken soup
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chiles
- Spices: salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder
- Cheddar cheese
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Tortillas, chicken, peppers, cheese and a creamy sauce are layered together in this crowd-pleasing Southwest casserole
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 8-10 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and shred into bite size pieces.
- Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté until tender. Add bell peppers and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Stir in chicken broth, both soups, diced tomatoes and green chilies, salt and spices. Return the shredded chicken to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until mixture is heated through.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the bottom of the pan to coat.
- Layer with half of the tortilla strips.Top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers once (tortilla strips, chicken mixture, cheese).
- Cover and bake at 350° for about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for and additional 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: chicken, cheese, tortillas
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from myrecipes.com.