Every once in a while, I hit the recipe jackpot with my family and serve something that every single person at the table devours, while proclaiming with their mouths full of food, “This is good!” This Spicy Smoked Sausage Alfredo Bake was one of those recipes.
And the best part–this crowd pleasing casserole is so easy to make. It didn’t even bother me that it was gone in half the time it took me to put it on the table.
My boys are all huge fans of Alfredo, which is probably why they love this dish so much. And I love that the sausage adds that extra bit of protein that so important for growing boys. This dish is pretty much a winner all the way around!
I also love that the recipe is so easily adaptable. You can use any kind of pasta in this dish, but I recommend a tube or spiral variety–shells would be good too. Just use something sturdy to go along with all of the sliced sausage. You can switch up the sausage too, if you’d like. Just be aware that many varieties of sausage would need to be cooked ahead of time.
There are so many things you could add to this recipe too. Think mushrooms, bell peppers, etc., and of course, you could make a non-spicy version. My family loved it as is, but feel free to experiment and adapt it to your tastes.
- 16 ounces dry pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (12 oz) fully cooked smoked sausage, any variety
- Cook pasta according to package directions until just al dente; drain.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Whisk in chicken broth until smooth, then stir in half and half.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella until cheeses are melted and smooth.
- Slice sausage into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the sauce, along with the chopped parsley and cooked pasta. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Preheat broiler. Pour the pasta mixture into a lightly greased, 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Be sure to follow my Pasta Recipes board on Pinterest for more great dinner ideas.
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.