This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mazola. The opinions and text are all mine.
It’s usually too hot during the summer months to turn on my oven for baking, but if you’ve got a sweet tooth like I do, you come up with creative ways to have your dessert and eat it too. Grilled desserts are a great way to beat the summer heat when it comes to making sweet treats, and these grilled peaches with vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce are one of my all-time favorites.
Did you know that when you’re grilling, it’s important to choose an oil with a high smoke point, like Mazola Corn Oil? The smoke point of an oil is the temperature at which it breaks down, and when your oil breaks down your food may start to stick or even develop a funny taste. Most grills are too hot for olive oil because of its lower smoke point. So using the right oil for your cooking needs really is important.
If you’re concerned about making healthy food choices, a recent study suggested that corn oil may reduce bad (LDL) cholesterol even more than extra virgin olive oil. And Mazola Corn Oil contains no trans fats and is cholesterol free. Corn oil also contains the highest amount of naturally occurring plant sterols per serving compared to any other cooking oil, and clinical studies suggest that plant sterols can help reduce your absorption of cholesterol, which can help lower that LDL.
Knowing that makes me feel even better about using Mazola when I grill.
And let me tell you, these grilled peaches are amazing! If you’re not in the mood to indulge, they make a fabulous dessert on their own–grilling really brings out the natural flavors and sweetness of the peaches. But served warm and topped with some vanilla ice cream, salted caramel sauce and toasted pecans? Well….there are no words. And this dessert is so quick and easy to make–it’s practically effortless!
- 4 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1/8 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup prepared salted caramel sauce
- Your favorite vanilla ice cream
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combined brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside
- Brush cut halves of peaches with Mazola Corn Oil and place face down on the grill. Brush the outside (skin side) of the peaches with corn oil while the other side cooks. Grill for about 3 minutes, or until peaches are just beginning to develop grill marks.
- Using tongs, carefully flip the peaches. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the cut side of the peaches and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove peaches from grill and cool slightly.
- Place one or two peaches in an individual serving dish. Top with vanilla ice cream, salted caramel sauce and toasted pecans. Enjoy!
Whatever you’re grilling up this summer (but seriously, you have to make these grilled peaches) Mazola wants to help out by giving away a package of fun summer grilling staples to one lucky Let’s Dish reader, including:
- (1) Mazola Corn Oil
- (1) Mazola BBQ apron,
- (1) Stainless steel 3-piece grill set from Weber Grills
- (1) Fun, four-way measuring spoon
You can enter the giveaway below (ends Aug. 13, 2014, open to U.S. residents only) and be sure to check out www.mazola.com for more great recipe ideas!