We have definitely entered that phase of summer where it’s just way too hot to turn on the oven. But sometimes I’m in the mood for something other than the usual hamburgers, hot dogs and grilled chicken. This marinated grilled flank steak is my go to recipe when I want to do something a bit fancier on the grill.
Trust me though, when I say fancy, I don’t mean difficult. Just let your steak marinate all day and then throw it on the grill about 10 minutes before you’re ready to eat. And the herb gorgonzola butter is easy too! Just toss some fresh herbs into your food processor with butter and Gorgonzola cheese and you’ve got an amazing spread for your grilled steak (it’s pretty tasty on roasted potatoes too). The steak tastes best and is most tender if you have time to marinate it overnight. And any leftover herb butter can be frozen for later.
- For the steak:
- 1 (2 pound) flank steak
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- For the Herbed Gorgonzola Butter:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh herbs, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder, red pepper flakes, pepper and salt.
- Place steak in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag and add soy sauce mixture. Cover the dish or seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Heat grill to high heat. Grill steak, covered, for 6 minutes per side, or until medium rare. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips to serve.
- To make Herbed Gorgonzola Butter, combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Spread over warm flank steak.
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.