I love soup weather! Especially when I find an easy, delicious soup recipe like this Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, and my whole family loved it–even the ones who would normally turn up their noses at the sight of carrots floating in their soup (which, let’s be honest, is pretty much all of them). This reminded me a lot of another family favorite, Creamy Tomato, Sausage and Tortellini Soup. Definitely worth a try if you’re looking for something a bit heartier.
I think the trick to this soup–at least for my family–was using the food processor to make sure all of the veggies were in tiny bits. I even pureed the diced tomatoes before I added them to the soup–not a big deal since my food processor was already dirty from chopping the carrots and onions. You could also use an immersion blender right in the pot to make it more smooth and creamy. If you want to cut back on the calories a bit, you can replace the cream with half and half or milk.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrot, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Whisk in broth and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Stir in tomatoes and heavy cream.
- Add Parmesan and heat through until cheese is melted. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in basil just before serving.
Who Dished It Up First: Adpated from Today’s Mama.