I’m always looking for new ways to combine the flavors of tomato, basil and mozzarella. So when I stumbled across the idea of caprese bread, I couldn’t wait to try it!
I was not disappointed. This is a beautiful loaf of bread my friends. And it tastes as good as it looks. It’s full of all kinds of savory flavors, with a fluffy yet moist texture. It does help to be a fan of sun-dried tomatoes. My husband is not, so this was not his favorite. Crazy! Seriously. So if you’re not a fan, maybe use a few less sun-dried tomatoes. This would also make great mini loaves, or even savory muffins.
- 1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of bread flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried-tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9×5 inch inch bread pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the mozzarella, basil, sun-dried tomatoes and minced garlic into the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined (the dough will be sticky.)
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Will Cook For Smiles