Serves: 24-36 servings, depending on size of meringues
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 20 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in 1 tablespoon of the crushed peppermint. Drop by spoonfuls or pipe onto prepared cookies sheets, about 1 inch apart.
- Sprinkle remaining crushed peppermint over the cookies. Bake for 1 approximately 1 1/2 hours--baking time will vary slightly depending on the size of your meringues. Do not allow meringues to brown. They should be completely dry on the inside.
- When meringues are done, turn off the oven an leave the door ajar. Let meringues sit in the oven until completely cool.
- Loosen from parchment with a spatula.
- Meringues may be stored, loosely covered, in a cool dry place for up to 2 months.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from allrecipes.com