I love this salad! I think my husband and kids love it even more than I do. It’s simple, delicious and can be made ahead of time. Which is a big bonus during the busy holiday season. It makes a ton, but it’s always one of the first things to go when it makes an appearance at our holiday table. We rarely have more than a days worth of leftovers.
Rather than freezing, you can just chill this in the refrigerator before serving, although I find it holds up very well when frozen, even when thawed completely. Just be sure to drain the pineapple well. If you like some extra crunch, you can also add a cup or so of chopped pecans.
- 1 (12 oz.) bag fresh cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 (8 oz.) cans crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 (10 oz.) package miniature marshmallows
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped cranberries and the sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours, or overnight. With an electric mixer, whip cream until stiff.
- In a large bowl, combine cranberries and pineapple. Fold in whipped cream and marshmallows.
- Pour into a large, airtight container and freeze until ready to serve. Thaw slightly (or completely if you prefer) before serving.
- Total time includes freezing.