Wow! When I came across the recipe for these crunchy caramel bars I had a feeling they would be good. I had no idea how good. They remind me very much of a Twix bar, with a hint of butterscotch and peanut butter flavor.
When you’re making the caramel/graham cracker crumb mixture, you’ll want to start timing your 5 minutes of boiling when you see the very first bubbles. And you really do need to stir constantly, as it’s a pretty sticky mixture. The combinations of slightly salty, buttery crackers with the caramel filling and chocolate/peanut butter topping is absolutely incredible. These bars are definitely a must make!
- 80 Club crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang to help remove bars. Lightly spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line the foil with one layer of Club crackers.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk and white sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour half of the mixture over the crackers, spreading evenly to cover crackers.
- Place another single layer of crackers evenly over the butter mixture.
- Spread remaining butter mixture evenly over crackers. Top with remaining crackers.
- In a medium saucepan, combine peanut butter, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Melt over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Spread peanut butter chocolate mixture evenly over top layer of crackers.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from pan (using foil overhang) and cut into bars. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Who Dished it Up First: Adapted from Twirl and Taste.