I love baking with apples! And I must say, this is one of the tastiest muffin recipes I’ve tried in quite awhile. The combination of apples, oats and spices is just perfect, although I find an extra dash of cinnamon never hurts! As an added bonus, the whole house smells lovely while they bake.
I used a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, but you could certainly use all white or all wheat, depending on your tastes and what you have on hand. If you prefer, you can bake this up in a 9×5-inch loaf pan–just be sure to increase the cooking time. These muffins are a perfect Fall treat. They were certainly a big hit at my house!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, eggs, oil, vanilla and applesauce.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, soda, salt and spices.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the bowl.
- Stir in the oats, apples, and nuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from King Arthur Flour.