What’s not to love about gooey, melted cheese? I had to ask for white American cheese at the deli counter, but you might also find it in pre-packaged slices (like those Kraft singles). That will work just as well. I really like the additions of the fresh ingredients in this recipe.
If you’re serving queso at a get together, try keeping it in a slow cooker set to the low or warm setting. That way it stays warm and melty all evening long!
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno or serrano, seeds and stem removed; diced
- 16 ounces white American cheese, shredded or cubed
- 4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a saute pan. Cook the onion and pepper until softened and reduce heat to medium-low. Add the cheeses and 1/2 cup of the cream. Stir until mostly melted.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, diced Roma tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cream a little at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Serve with chips or fresh tortillas.