I found this recipe at Eclectic Whatnot and it looked so simple I just had to give it a try. I was skeptical that these would really taste like a Three Musketeers bar, but they came awfully close. And the longer these sat in the refrigerator, the more they tasted like the real thing. The original recipe suggested dipping these in chocolate almond bark or candy coating, which would probably set up better than the melted chocolate chips, but that stuff is a bit too sweet for me. I had to put mine in the refrigerator to get them to set up completely, but that’s where I ended up storing them anyway, so it worked out just fine.
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips for the filling and milk chocolate for dipping, but feel free to use whatever combination of chocolate you like. I used a toothpick to hold my nougat centers for dipping, and a spoon to help get the chocolate over the top and sides. These really were easy, and I rarely say that about a candy recipe. I’d definitely make them again, and probably will very soon!
- 4 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with wax paper.
- In a medium bowl, melt 2 cups of chocolate chips in the microwave at fifty percent power, or use a double boiler.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat melted chocolate for about 30 seconds. Add whipped topping to melted chocolate and beat until well combined and fluffy, 30-60 seconds more.
- Spread chocolate mixture evenly into prepared pan (if mixture is too stiff, press into pan with lightly dampened hands). Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from freezer and turn chocolate mixture onto a cutting board; cut into one-inch squares. Return squares to freezer for another 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 cups chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and stir until well combined.
- Dip frozen chocolate squares into melted chocolate to coat. Place on wax paper to set.
- Keep chocolates in an airtight container in the refrigerator.