This is my go-to chocolate cake recipe. I’m not a big fan of regular old cake from a mix, but this has enough additions to transform it into a dense, moist, gooey cake. I rarely even frost it, although it’s fabulous drizzled with this homemade fudge sauce.
I really like to use mini chocolate chips in this recipe if I have them handy. They almost melt right into the cake! Rather than grease and flour, I just use a generous coating of Baker’s Joy. Keep this cake covered at room temperature and it’s even better the next day.
- 1 (18.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz.) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bunt pan.
- Beat all ingredients (except chocolate chips) until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter (it will be thick) into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Who Dished It Up First: I can’t even remember where I originally got this recipe, but I’ve been making it for years.