I love anything caprese, and these open face sandwiches are such an easy, delicious take on the classic tomato, basil and mozzarella combination. These sandwiches make for a great lunch or light dinner, especially with a green salad on the side. You could easily toast these under the broiler if it’s not outdoor grilling weather. Just watch your bread carefully on the grill so it doesn’t burn.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium heat (about 350 degrees).
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil with garlic and brush onto one side of each bread slice.
- Lay bread, oiled side down, on grill and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Turn bread over and lay tomatoes, then cheese slices on top. Cover grill and cook until cheese starts to melt, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer sandwiches to a platter and top with fresh basil.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
This is such and easy, delicious take on the classic Caprese salad. These sandwiches make for a great lunch or light dinner. Just watch your bread carefully on the grill so it doesn’t burn.
Who Dished It Up First
Adapted from Sunset Magazine’s Best Recipes 2010 issue.