The other day, I was reading my friend Christy’s recipe blog, where she mentioned that she hadn’t really cared for most of the tortellini soup recipes she had tried. I felt the same way. Most tortellini soups are broth based, and the tortellini tends to get too mushy by the time the soup is served.
I was just about to try Christy’s recipe for creamy tortellini soup (and I still plan to) when I came across this recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Sausage Soup. That’s when I had the brilliant (in my opinion) idea to combine the two recipes into one easy and delicious soup. I didn’t add any vegetables like Christy did, but you could easily do that, especially if you are trying to sneak some veggies past unsuspecting children. I had this soup on the table in about 20 minutes, and I didn’t even have to worry about leftovers. There weren’t any!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half and half or cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble into pan. Cook and stir, breaking up sausage as you go.
- When sausage is browned, stir in pasta sauce, broth and half and half or cream.
- Bring to a boil and add tortellini. Continue boiling gently until tortellini is done, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
Who Dished It Up First: Inspired by Christy at Yummy Deliciousness and Jenny at Picky Palate.