This is my absolute favorite way to prepare ham. It’s so easy to remove the lid of the slow cooker for basting and the ham always stays moist. Not to mention, cooking the main dish–especially for a holiday meal–in the slow cooker frees up all that space in the oven.
Just make sure you have a ham that will fit in your slow cooker. If not, you can prepare your ham the traditional way, in the oven. Just follow the same instructions for basting as outlined in the recipe.
- 1 (3-5 pound) ready-to-eat, spiral sliced ham
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place the ham in a slow cooker with about 1/4 inch of water in the bottom.
- Turn the slow cooker to low heat.
- In a small saucepan, heat the brown sugar, honey and butter until smooth. Stir in the ground cloves.
- Brush or spoon about 1/4 of the glaze over the ham.
- Remove the glaze from the heat and keep covered while the ham cooks.
- Continue cooking the ham on low for 2-3 hours, brushing with glaze every 20-30 minutes, until ham is heated through.