If you’re looking for a recipe for moist, delicious cornbread, this is it! I can’t explain the science behind letting the cornmeal sit in the milk for a few minutes, but something magical happens. It’s so much better than using a box mix. Trust me, the few extra minutes you’ll spend making it from scratch will be totally worth it. I’m the only person in my family who likes cornbread (seriously, what is wrong with these people?), which means if I don’t half the recipe, I’ll be eating a lot of cornbread! Not that I’d mind. I like to bake this in 9-inch round pans or a cast iron skillet and cut it into wedges. It also makes great cornbread muffins.
Serves: 12 servings
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Whisk egg and oil together until smooth.
- Add all wet ingredients to dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Bake in a greased 9x13 inch pan for 30-35 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Serving size: 16 servings
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from allrecipes.com